Moving day – 6 tips on how to get organised!
Moving house…it’s something we’ve all done, or will do at some point in our lives – many of us multiple times. Your life and all its belongings are packed up, tossed into a moving van and shaken out at the other end, as you hope for the best. Patience is tested, nerves are frayed – yes, moving can be an organisational nightmare! Thankfully, we’ve come up with six tips to help make moving easier, stress-free and even a fun process.
- Start sorting! Cupboards, drawers, closets, attics, shelves, basements and garages. Start at least six weeks before moving day to ensure you don’t run out of time. Work through one room at a time so you don’t get overwhelmed. This can also be a great time to declutter your life. Sort everything into two categories: ‘to keep’ and ‘to get rid of’. Of anything that is to be kept, start packing away the items first that aren’t likely to be needed in the next six weeks. Label every box ‘Utensils’ ‘Books’ etc –this will make unpacking far easier if you know what you’re unpacking first.
- Have a garage sale! This is the time to get rid of anything in that pile you’ve made, so you can move into your new home without excess baggage. Pick a weekend day, advertise in the local paper/bulletin and put some signage around the neighbourhood (ask hoamz for some old For Sale signs to use the back of). Anything that doesn’t sell at the garage sale can be gifted to charity, friends and family or recycled if necessary.
- Book that van! Four weeks before moving day, it’s a good idea to start putting together a list of items that will need to be professionally moved to your new home. Get quotes from different moving companies so you have time to decide which one suits you best. Alternatively, you can rent your own removal van, or organise a group of friends to help you move these items that day. Just make sure you have enough people, particularly those comfortable with lifting heavy objects! Give everyone plenty of notice of the date you’re moving, so they can keep their schedule free.
- Do your admin! Make a list of people, companies, subscriptions and utility facilities to notify of your new address and contact details. Be sure to arrange disconnection of services at your old address and to set up connection at your new address. Set up insurance for your new home before moving day, so you’re covered. And remember, NZ Post offers a mail forwarding service for a small charge which can really help as it’s easy to forgot less regular mail senders.
- Time to clean! Leave the bulk of the cleaning until the last week or two before you leave, that way there isn’t time for it to get messy again. Start in one room and work your way around the house. This is a good time to organise carpet cleaning, or any other specialised cleaning services that you may require.
- Book a sitter! It’s finally come around, moving day is here! You’re going to be busy, so if you have children or pets, it might be smart to get a sitter to look after them for the day; that way you can devote your full attention to moving house.